Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The recipe for this delicious muesli was published in the Australian Gourmet Traveller, in 1994, at the request of a reader who had enjoyed it at one of the Holiday Inn hotels. This is our adaptation, which we love to have as a treat on Sunday mornings. Preparation time does not include leaving the mixture overnight.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk (you can use low-fat or soy if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup light cream (for whipping)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 -2 granny smith apple, peeled and grated (optional)
- ground nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 -2 cup mixed fresh fruit, peeled and diced (such as raspberries, strawberries, melon, apple, banana, grapes, Kiwi fruit, pineapple, mango)
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, orange juice, milk, sugar, honey, yoghurt, vanilla essence and sultanas.
- Mix well, cover, and either refrigerate or leave in a cool place overnight.
- The next morning, whip the cream, and fold it through the muesli with the slivered almonds (and grated apple if desired).
- If the consistency is firmer than you prefer, add more milk or cream to taste.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg (optional).
- Serve with fresh fruit.
This was exactly what I wanted it to be! I replaced the sugar with extra honey, and omitted the apples and sultanas. I used cinnamon and raspberries, I also added wheatgerm and ground sunflower and pumpkin seeds. It was delicious, thanks for posting!
I had this muesli at the Hilton Malta some 8 years ago, but couldn't find one, until now. I omitted the vanilla and cream and replaced the sultanas with raisins. increased the yogurt to a cup. thanks for the great recipe!