The recipe for this delicious muesli was published in the Australian Gourmet Traveller, in 1994, at the request of a reader who had enjoyed it at one of the Holiday Inn hotels. This is our adaptation, which we love to have as a treat on Sunday mornings. Preparation time does not include leaving the mixture overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/3 cups milk (you can use low-fat or soy if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup sultana
- 1/2 cup light cream (for whipping)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 -2 granny smith apple, peeled and grated (optional)
- ground nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 -2 cup mixed fresh fruit, peeled and diced (such as raspberries, strawberries, melon, apple, banana, grapes, Kiwi fruit, pineapple, mango)
- 1In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, orange juice, milk, sugar, honey, yoghurt, vanilla essence and sultanas.
- 2Mix well, cover, and either refrigerate or leave in a cool place overnight.
- 3The next morning, whip the cream, and fold it through the muesli with the slivered almonds (and grated apple if desired).
- 4If the consistency is firmer than you prefer, add more milk or cream to taste.
- 5Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg (optional).
- 6Serve with fresh fruit.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bircher Muesli
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.7
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 35.1 mg
- Sodium 71.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 27.1 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: