Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make and share this Bint Assahn (Yemeni Pastry With Honey) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 g) package yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup of warm water
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup honey
- Thoroughly mix flour and salt in a mixing bowl; then make a well in the middle. In a separate bowl, combine yeast, eggs, and milk. then pour into the flour. Knead into dough, adding more milk or flour if necessary. Cover and allow to stand in warm place for one hour.
- Form into 12 balls and place on a floured surface; cover with damp cloth and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Roll balls into rounds the size of a pie plate; set aside.
- Place a round in a buttered pie plate; then brush with butter. Add five more rounds, brushing each with butter. In a second pie plate, repeat with the other six rounds.
- Mix remaining butter with honey; then brush generously.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F., for 25 minutes or until the tops turn golden brown. Remove from oven; immediately pour half the remaining butter-honey mixture over tops of both pies. Allow to stand for 20 minutes; then cut into wedges. Serve with the remaining butter-honey mixture on the side for diners to add according to taste.