Recipe by Montana Heart Song
If you want that zing, try this over ice cream, sponge cake, cooked roast pork. You may thicken the juice for the sauce. It is so good! I had fun making this recipe, so easy. If you can't get dark red Bing cherries substitute other cherries.
- 3 -4 lbs bing cherries, stemmed and washed
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Amaretto
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
Directions See How It's Made
- In large dutch oven pan add orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice and sugar. Heat on medium heat until sugar is dissolved and blended.
- Stir. Do not burn.
- Add food coloring and cinnamon sticks.
- Add cherries, and stir in.(Do not pit cherries)Keep their shape.Heat for 15 minutes on low heat, until cherries and juice is hot.
- Add Amaretto and stir until mixed.
- Heat clean canning jars in the oven in water, upside down. Heat the seals in a separate pan on the stove.
- Pack the jars with cherries, then add the juice. Put cinnamon sticks in the jars. Wipe the rim of the jar with a hot clean cloth and seal and band. Any leftover juice pack in another jar, clean, seal and band.
- Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
- Take out and put on a toweled counter.
- Do not put in drafts.
- Remember to tell your guests there are pits in the cherries.