1/1 Photo of Biltong
Bokenpop aka Madeleine's Note:
Biltong is one of those things that everyone has their own opinion of... how to salt, how to spice, how wet/dry it should be, etc. This is my personal favourite recipe which is simple and straight-forward. It is excellent as is, but feel free make changes to the spice mixture to suit your tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim excess fat off the meat.
- 2Slice meat along the grain no thicker than 1.5cm.
- 3Cut those slices into strips of 3-5cm wide.
- 4Combine sugar, baking soda and black pepper.
- 5Roast coriander in a pan over a medium heat for 2 minutes and then crush it fine.
- 6Mix into the sugar mixture.
- 7Pour vinegar into a flat dish and drag meat strips through the vinegar coating them well.
- 8I use my cooler box for this next step in the process: sprinkle a handful of salt over the bottom of the cooler box and cover with a layer of meat strips.
- 9Sprinkle the meat with a layer of salt and then the spice mixture.
- 10Keep layering the meat, salt and spices finishing with a layer of salt and spices.
- 11Close cooler box and leave to stand for 24 hours.
- 12Discard any left over vinegar.
- 13When you open the cooler box, there will be a lot of water drawn from the meat and the salt should be dissolved.
- 14Take the meat out of the cooler and place on a tray.
- 15Remove any large pieces of salt that may still be on the meat.
- 16It is your choice if you still want to pat the meat dry, I never do.
- 17Discard the water in the cooler.
- 18Using a paperclip opened to resemble an "S", hook each meat strip and hang to dry.
- 19I use a biltong box because the biltong is dry within 3 days of hanging - conventional methods take much longer.
Nutritional Facts for Biltong
Serving Size: 1 (5974 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.5
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 60.3 mg
- Sodium 2333.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 22.9 g