Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
As seen on Martha Stewart. Courtesy of Billy Reech of Bill's Bakery, NYC. Be sure to check out Billy's Vanilla Buttercream recipe, #167663 and Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcake recipe, #167664.
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- With mixer on low speed, add chocolate until just combined.
- Add milk, vanilla, and sugar; mix on medium until well combined, being careful not to overmix.
Tastes great, holds up when piped....and NO SHORTENING!! It's a keeper
Decadent and easy! I used this on my sons birthday cake and it got rave reviews. I was thinking that you could replace the semi-sweet chips with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch or peanut butter chips to make other awesome flavors or this icing.
Reminds me of my grandmothers icing - the ultimate compliment!