Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Suitable for taking to a picnic in a field of golden daffodils :-)
- 1⁄2 lb plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 6 ounces light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Butter an 8-inch loaf tin.
- Place the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and ground ginger in a bowl.
- Add butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the brown sugar.
- Carefully add the golden syrup and lightly stir into the mixture with a knife.
- Spread the mixture in the tin.
- Level and bake in a pre-heated 325°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 wedges and remove from the tin.
- Place on a wire rack and leave until cold.
- Store in an airtight tin.