Recipe by bill mayes
This is a easy recipe and very tasty as a main dish or side dish. My mother made it for me as a teenager 50 plus years ago. Please Enjoy!! Use brown rice as it is much better for you.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
This is comfort food, dinner in a bowl, with meat, rice and veggies all in one. If you like chili mac, you'll like this too. We put in extra beef because it was the main dish, and sprinkled a little cheese on top for color; otherwise followed the recipe exactly, and we enjoyed it. Made for Pick A Chef, March 09.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef round or 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice (brown)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (goya if possible)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (spanish if possible)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- cook brown rice as the box says using at least 1 cup of chicken broth. put the olive oil in a large pan and add veggies. Cook till tender and add meat and all spices till brown add rice and diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir together cover and cook till any excell fluid is gone (if any) keep heated till ready to serve.