Recipe by Judikins
This is one of my husband's recent creations. We had an abundance of chili peppers in our garden this year. I think it turned out pretty good. What do you think? This can also be made a head and frozen--turns out fine.
- 6 -8 anaheim chilies, seeded and chopped into 1 inch squares
- 1⁄2 large onion, cut into medium pieces
- 2 slices toasted bread, cut into croutons
- 1⁄2 lb sausage (of your choice crumbled,fried and drained)
- 5 -6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil chilies& onions until semi-tender and drain.
- Coat 9x9" casserole with olive oil.
- Spread croutons on bottom of casserole.
- Spread chilies, onions and sausage over croutons.
- Mix together well eggs, milk, salt, pepper and marjoram.
- Pour mixture over chilies and croutons.
- Put casserole into preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place tomato slices and sprinkle cheese on top; then bake again for 20 minutes.
- Test with tip of sharp knife for doneness.
- Cool 5 minutes and serve.
- This casserole can be made with many other vegetables, such as eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, green beans, celery, etc.
- If you're a vegan, just leave out the sausage.