Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is considered to be the most elegant and delicious soup ever created! May be served hot or cold
- Scrub the mussels well to remove all exterior sand and dirt.
- Place them in a large kettle with the shallots, onions, parsley, salt, black pepper, cayenne, wine, butter, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the mussels have opened.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Strain the liquid through a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Reserve the mussels for another use or remove them from the shells and use them as a garnish.
- Bring the liquid in the saucepan to a boil and add the cream.
- Retirn to boil and remove from the heat.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and return to the heat long enough for the soup to thicken slightly.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Serve hot or cold.
- This dish may be enriched, if desired, by stirring 2 TBS of hollandaise sauce into the soup before it is served.