Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is considered to be the most elegant and delicious soup ever created! May be served hot or cold
- 2 lbs mussels
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 sprigs parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Scrub the mussels well to remove all exterior sand and dirt.
- Place them in a large kettle with the shallots, onions, parsley, salt, black pepper, cayenne, wine, butter, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the mussels have opened.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Strain the liquid through a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Reserve the mussels for another use or remove them from the shells and use them as a garnish.
- Bring the liquid in the saucepan to a boil and add the cream.
- Retirn to boil and remove from the heat.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and return to the heat long enough for the soup to thicken slightly.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Serve hot or cold.
- This dish may be enriched, if desired, by stirring 2 TBS of hollandaise sauce into the soup before it is served.
This is unbelievably delicious, and easy. Although there are more complicated recipes, this is the one to make. A lot of recipes add back the mussel meat, but the soup is exquisite in texture without it and in our opinion, adding the meat spoils it. Make marinated mussels instead with it.