Recipe by mollypaul
Before they closed their doors in 2002, Bill Knapp's Restaurants were a 54 year tradition in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. Posted in response to a recipe request.
Top Review by Texas Lori
I can't WAIT to try this! I worked through college as a Bill Knapp's waitress, and have many fond memories of my time there, as well as the wonderful food. Too bad they tried to compete with the "new", younger-crowd restaurants and ended up going broke. If they had just stuck to what they were great at, they would still be around.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Melt butter in boiling water.
- Add orange rind, orange juice, sugar,
- vanilla and beaten egg and blend.
- Sift dry ingredients over orange mixture. Add nuts.
- Stir just until flour is damp.
- Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.