Cook3 hrs 45 mins
Before they closed their doors in 2002, Bill Knapp's Restaurants were a 54 year tradition in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. Delicious served hot with cornbread. Adapted from a 1997 edition of The Detroit News. Posted in response to a recipe request.
- Wash and sort the beans and soak overnight in cold water to cover.
- Next morning drain beans.
- Put beans, ham and garlic in stockpot, add 2 to 3 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- While the beans are cooking, in a separate pan boil the onion, celery and carrots in enough water to cover for 30 minutes.
- Drain and add to the beans and ham and continue cooking for 45 minutes more.
- Put soup contents in blender or food processor to slightly puree the soup(You will need to do this in batches).
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Note: To use canned beans, allow 3 (15-ounce) cans undrained Northern beans and omit 1 quart water. Continue recipe as directed.