Recipe by GayleM
Posted as a result of a request. I found it on cyber-kitchen.com
Top Review by lia304act
This recipe is all over the internet, it is ok but the topping is way too gooey, and is not very tasty if it isn't straight off the stove. It is definately not a Bill Knapp's chocolate topping. Going to be looking for a recipe from the 60's for a chocolate frosting to try and get the right combonation.
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 14 ounces light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together cake mix, warm water and eggs with electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until tester in center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- While cake is baking, prepare topping: In top of double boiler, over simmering water, combile butter, chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup.
- Cook over the simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth (20-30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Cut cake into squares and top with a generous spoonful of warm topping.
- Top each square with a scoop of vanilla ice cream just before serving.
- Store topping in refrigerator, tightly capped, for up to a few months; freezes well.
- Reheat in microwave a serving at a time.