Recipe by emily9
I got this out of our local newspaper. I always loved their potatoes and couldn't wait to try this recipe--it sure tasted like theirs.
Top Review by tkuehl
This recipe is very close to the original. I agree that using the Kraft Old English Cheese brings this recipe a bit closer to the original. I worked for Bill Knapp's for 5 years (high school and college). We sprinkled a very generous amount of paprika over the mixture just before baking. We never used any bread crumbs to achieve the signature crust. I sprayed the baking pan / ramekins with a butter spray before adding the mixture. I remember the dish washers hated cleaning the baked on cheese off the ramekins.
- 6 cups potatoes, diced, boiled and chilled
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare potatoes.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan.
- Add flour and blend.
- Gradually add milk and cook until thick.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in potatoes.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until top is browned.
- Can top with soft bread crumbs.