Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Mushrooms are my favorite food and I especially like marinated mushrooms. It is really hard to get marinated mushrooms in the UK though. So, I was really happy to find this recipe in the BBC Good Food magazine. It is from the Australian TV cook, Bill Granger. I really like his simple and healthy recipes.
- 1 lb button mushroom
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons oregano, finely chopped
- Blanch the mushrooms in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, then drain.
- While the mushrooms are warm, pour over the olive oil and the red wine vinegar.
- Add oregano, a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir to combine.
- Allow to cool, then chill until serving.
A lovely, different way to prepare mushrooms. The oregano worked beautifully in this dish. In an attempt to make it healthier, I reduced the oil and upped the vinegar and after soaking for nearly 24 hours, the vinegar taste was a little strong but that's my fault, not the recipe's. I'll definitely make this often, probably adding minced garlic next time. I also used the vinegar mixture to marinate some tomatoes after the mushrooms and those came out lovely as well! Made for PAC Spring 2010.
Easy to make and a fresh taste, but lacked a little something. Maybe I'll try a bit of garlic or chili next time.
Great fresh flavor and so simple to make. I tagged this recipe for my DH who loves mushrooms and he really liked them. The directions didnt mention how much water to boil or salt to use so I filled a medium sized pot halfway with water and added a good palm full of salt. I had red wine vinegar flavored with garlic and used dried oregano instead of fresh. Loved the oregano flavor and the mushrooms would be great with a meat and cheese platter or with a good deli sandwich. Thank you Sarah_Jayne for posting, will make these again this summer.