Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
I really enjoy the recipes of Australian chef Bill Granger. He always comes up with dishes that somehow sound indulgent and healthy at the same time. This sounds like the kind of fusion food I have always thought I would experience if I ever got to go to Sydney. Cooking time includes chilling time for the burgers.
- 21 ounces ground chicken
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- light-flavoured oil, such as canola, for brushing
For Spicy Slaw
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or 2 tablespoons mirin or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 large carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 cups white cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 4 celery ribs, trimmed, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
For Sweet Chili Dressing
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon mirin or 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 long red chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the ground chicken, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon grass, coriander, lime zest, fish sauce and sugar in a large bowl and mix together well with your hands.
- Shape into six patties, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For the slaw: mix together the sugar and rice vinegar, then add the carrot and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- For the dressing: mix together all the ingredients, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Heat a barbecue or grill pan and brush with a little oil. Cook the patties for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- While the patties are cooking, put the white and red cabbage in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the carrot and add to the cabbage with the celery, onion, mint and coriander.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss together.
- Serve the patties on soft rolls with lettuce, mint and coriander leaves and chilli sauce together with a helping of slaw.