Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a signature recipe of my mom & dad's. Every Sunday after church and breakfast, Dad would start this chili. It simmered all day. More ingredients would be added as the pot got low. The neighborhood kids would walk into our kitchen and help themselves to a bowl. My brothers, sisters, and I still do this for our families. Hope you like it many do already.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Begin browning the beef in a large pot, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Peel the onions, cutting off the stem and root ends. The next step is essential to get the crescent slices of onion. Cut in half from stem to root end then pare off 1/4" crescents of onion letting it fall into the browning beef.
- Cook on Medium high until the onions are clear and the beef is cooked. Stirring frequently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in this order: Garlic, tomato sauce, tomatoes (pour in the juice then take the tomatoes out of the can one at a time and squeeze them in your hand to break them up into chunks, chili powder, cumin. Stir to combine.
- When the mixture begins to come to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for at least an hour. If you simmer for more than 2 hours add another teaspoon of chili powder and cumin.
- Serve with thin pasta in a bowl or serve over lettuce in a bowl with saltines.