Recipe by newspapergal
Mmmm. The former president's famous recipe for favorite enchiladas. *Note: I usually substitute flour tortillas and omit the dipping in oil, as that's our preference. I also add a couple of teaspoons of chili powder to the sauce and to the chicken filling mixture.*
Top Review by ebbtide
In spite of its namesake, we really did enjoy this dish this evening. So easy and uncomplicated. I used whole wheat tortillas, which worked out just fine. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 corn tortillas
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat 2 Tbsp oil in skillet.
- Saute green chilies with minced garlic & chopped onion in oil.
- Drain and break up tomatoes. Reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- Add tomatoes, 1 tsp salt, oregano and reserved tomato liquid. Simmer, uncovered until thick, about 30 minutes.
- Remove sauce from skillet and set aside.
- Combine chicken with sour cream, cheese and remaining salt.
- Heat 1/3 cup oil. Dip tortillas in oil until they become limp. Drain well on paper towels.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture. Roll up. Arrange side by side, seam side down, in 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour chili sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake at 250F degrees until heated through about 20 minutes.