Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I developed this recipe getting ready for a chili cook-off. I wanted something so big and bold it could start a Harley without the battery. Rev em up!
- 6 lbs ground buffalo meat (can substitute 3 lbs. with coarsely ground chuck)
- 4 ounces salt pork, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces chili powder
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 large white onions, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (I prefer a stout)
- 6 -8 dried chili pods, reconstituted in 1/2 bottle beer
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, simmered in the other 1/2 bottle beer
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) canortega green chili peppers, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can chipotle chiles, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 1⁄8 ounces ibarra mexican chocolate (1 round bar)
- Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons masa corn flour, mixed with remaining beef broth
- In a large pot render salt pork.
- Brown meat, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic, and onions.
- Cook 30-45 minutes, stirring often.
- Puree chili pods with a small amount of beer.
- Strain oregano from beer.
- Add chili puree, oregano infused beer, paprika, vinegar, 2/3 of beef broth, green chiles, chipotle, tomatoes, and Ibarra Mexican Chocolate.
- Add Tabasco to taste.
- Simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Dissolve masa flour in remaining broth; add to mixture.
- Simmer another 30 minutes.
This is great chili. Next time I make it, I will add kidney beans, but it was a big hit the way it is. I used Guinness stout. Lots of fun to make.