Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a popular Indonesian dessert. So Sweet but SO yummy! When preparing the rice balls, the water quantity is only a guideline. The dough should be smooth and soft. If the rice cakes are dry when shaped, they will be incredibly tough and almost inedible once cooked.
- take your rice flour and tapioca starch in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add water and salt, and mix well.
- Then you will need to knead the dough until it can be rolled and shaped (dough should be moist).
- Roll 1/2 inch diameter balls with the dough.
- Cut diagonally 1 inch in length.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil, and drop in the rice balls, and allow water to come back to a boil.
- Simmer rice balls for 4 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- Make Palm Sugar Syrup.
- Take 150g palm sugar, 50g castor sugar and 1 cup water, and allow sugars to dissolve completely and cook down to thicken slightly; You will want to measure it out as it should make approximately 1 cup palm sugar syrup.
- Then make the sauce.
- Take 6 cups water, 2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup palm sugar syrup, and pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add your rice balls and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve at room temperature.
- Top with freshly grated coconut when serving.