Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Bigos...posted per a request. Quite tasty..but a bit time consuming.
- 3 lbs diced & cooked meat, please use at least 1/4 pound of each of the following,beef,ham,lamb,sausage,pork,or other wild game
- 2 1⁄2 ounces salt pork or 2 1⁄2 ounces bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 1 leek, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup water or 1 cup beef bouillon
- 3 lbs sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- In an 8 quart kettle, fry salt pork or bacon until golden, but not quite crisp.
- Add onions and leeks, stir for 3 minutes.
- Then add the flour, mushrooms with liquid and water to the kettle.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse sauerkraut.
- Add to kettle along with cooked meat, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cover and cook over low to medium heat for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Watch the temperature, don't want it to dry out.
- Stir in the wine at the end, and add more salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and you are done!
Most time consuming part was dicing the meat, but sure was worth it! Everyone raved about it and I have already had requests for more.
Kim127 made this for Easter and was nice enough to give me a serving. It is sooo delicious!! I am making my version this weekend for my parents and I know they will love it. I will be using lamb, beef, chicken and kielbasa.
This was dead on the the money.Almost the way my Babcia taught me.She never used Lamb or beef .It was too expensive!!!! Her insistance.