6 hrs 40 mins
6 hrs 15 mins
PSU Lioness's Note:
Biggest Loser Chef Devin Alexander particularly likes the garlic flavor of this chicken, though feel free to use your favorite salt-free seasoning (such as Cajun) if you're not a huge fan of garlic. To achieve an even crisper, "oven-fried" crust, cook the chicken on the bottom rack of your oven. (I have not tried this yet. Found it on the website and I am posting for safe keeping. Marinating time is included in prep time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the chicken breasts and buttermilk to a large resealable plastic bag or container. Rotate the breasts so they are completely coated, then seal the bag or container. Marinate them in the refrigerator at least 6 hours or overnight, rotating them once or twice.
- 2Preheat the oven to 450°F Lightly mist a medium nonstick baking sheet with spray.
- 3In a small bowl, mix the seasoning and salt. Add the panko to a medium shallow bowl.
- 4Remove 1 chicken breast from the buttermilk.
- 5Let any excess buttermilk drip off it, then sprinkle the entire breast (both sides) evenly with about one-quarter of the seasoning mixture.
- 6Dip the chicken in the panko, rotating it to cover completely.
- 7Place the breaded chicken breast face down (ribs up) on the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining breasts, arranging them on the baking sheet so they do not touch.
- 8Lightly mist the chicken with spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then gently flip the breasts, being careful not to remove any breading.
- 9Lightly mist them again with spray and continue to bake for 12 to 15 minutes longer, or until the breading is crispy and the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- 10Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days to eat cold.
- 11NOTE: If you have trouble finding small chicken breasts, look for the larger chicken breasts halves that are about 1 pound each (I've found these are generally easier to find). Ask your butcher to remove the skin and cut them in half, leaving you with 4 approximately 8-ounce breast pieces.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Biggest Loser Garlic Southern "Fried" Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 427.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
whole wheat panko