Adapted from the Australian Biggest Loser cookbook. Will be posting other recipes using evaporated milk as it's such a wonderful ingredient... the feel of a rich, creamy sauce but a lot lower in fat. Hope you enjoy this! I think you could use other pasta shapes too.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 300 g fusilli
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (185 g) can evaporated milk (I use Light n Creamy)
- 1 (425 g) can tuna in water, drained, flaked
- salt and pepper (we skipped the salt)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese (to serve)
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- Cook pasta as packet directs then drain and set aside.
- Heat pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil.
- Cook onion for three minutes or until tender then add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until just starting to color.
- Increase heat to high and add lemon juice, zest and stock and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the evaporated milk and flaked tuna then cook for another 2 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper as desired (lots of pepper no salt for us).
- Add pasta and parsley to the pan and fold pasta and sauce together gently to combine. Heat just a couple of minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot in warm bowls topped with either the parmesan as the recipe suggests, or as we did with capers instead as they go wonderfully well with tuna.
Quick and easy to make and quite tasty. I didn't have any evaporated milk so I used soy milk and added a little flour to thicken it slightly. A very tasty lunch.
Very easy dish and quite tasty, too. Served chopped broccoli along with this and all three of us mixed it in. Great meal for a busy night.
I did not like this recipe. The directions were very confusing. Parts were listed in grams and others in cups or teaspoon/tablespoons.. I followed the directions as listed. The only thing I changed was that I added some tarragon. I know it's not because this is considered "diet". I have been on weight watchers for 4 years so I am used to eating low fat. This was not creamy at all and just didn't taste good.