Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
"Have you seen the bigger piggies, In their starched white shirts You will find the bigger piggies, Stirring up the dirt, Always have clean shirts to play around in." (George Harrison)
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 2 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 3 ounces soft white breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- beaten egg (, to bind)
- Melt butter and gently fry mushrooms for 2 minutes.
- Combine with breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Use just sufficient beaten egg to bind- about 3 tbsp.
- Divide stuffing between bacon slices.
- Roll up and secure each, if necessary, with a wooden cocktail stick or toothpick.
- Cook for 5 minutes under a hot broiler, turning once.
- Remove sticks and place bacon rolls in an oven dish, in a single layer.
- Place crushed tomatoes in a saucepan.
- Season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Pour over bacon rolls and cook in a 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- I serve this with creamed potatoes and a tossed green salad (with, of course, my Hot Bacon Dressing on the salad).