Recipe by BigFatMomma
I wanted a meat sauce without carrots or celery in it--just good meaty tastiness. So, I came up with this one. It was rich and hearty, without those pesky vegetables getting in the way. Fiber, indeed!
Top Review by iris5555
I used a hot Italian sausage instead of the ground beef. I ended up adding about a tsp of Italian seasoning in addition to the other herbs to add even more flavor as I didn't add the crushed red pepper--because I don't like spicy hot sauces.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 medium bay leaves
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute tomato, mushrooms, garlic, onion in the butter, olive oil and molasses, until soft.
- Place this mixture into a crockpot.
- Brown the beef in a non-stick pan until no longer pink, and drain.
- Pour on top of onion mixture in crockpot.
- Pour tomato sauce into crockpot.
- Add spices, bay leaves and cheese, and stir to mix evenly.
- Slow-cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring twice, or alternately, cook over very low heat on stovetop, stirring occasionally so that the cheese doesn't burn.
- Serve over thick pasta.