4 hrs 20 mins
These are incredible, and easy. Starts with the crockpot, ends under the broiler. Tastes better than a deli sub--and that's coming from my husband! Kids love them too. Have a knife and fork ready, since these are pretty big. It looks long and involved, but it really, really isn't!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 32 ounces prepared chunky marinara sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 -4 sub sandwich buns
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Soak minced onion in 1 tbsp water for 5 minutes.
- 2Put sauce and paste in the crockpot, whisk to blend.
- 3In a large bowl, put turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic powder and olive oil.
- 4Mix until just combined--be careful not to knead or squeeze the combination too much.
- 5The mixture will be soft and sticky--that's okay.
- 6Form into patties, (not balls) 1 inch thick by 3 inches long.
- 7Drop into sauce in crockpot.
- 8If needed, put more sauce in to cover the meatballs.
- 9Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until meat is done (my crockpot's low setting will cook the meat in 4 hours, so check on them after 4).
- 11Preheat oven to 425.
- 12Place 3-4 rolls, split, onto a cookie sheet.
- 13Spray the split rolls with cooking spray (this will keep the rolls from getting soggy later).
- 14Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- 15Bake until crusty--about 3-5 minutes--keep an eye on them.
- 16Remove from oven.
- 17Switch oven to Broil.
- 18Meanwhile, place 2-3 meatballs on each roll, then top liberally with sauce.
- 19Sprinkle with mozzarella, covering the sauce.
- 20Broil for 2 minutes, or until cheese melts and starts to brown.
- 21Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bigfatmomma's Famous Meatball Subs
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.9
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 204.8 mg
- Sodium 2065.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 36.9 g
- Protein 46.4 g