Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These are incredible, and easy. Starts with the crockpot, ends under the broiler. Tastes better than a deli sub--and that's coming from my husband! Kids love them too. Have a knife and fork ready, since these are pretty big. It looks long and involved, but it really, really isn't!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 32 ounces prepared chunky marinara sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 -4 sub sandwich buns
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Soak minced onion in 1 tbsp water for 5 minutes.
- Put sauce and paste in the crockpot, whisk to blend.
- In a large bowl, put turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic powder and olive oil.
- Mix until just combined--be careful not to knead or squeeze the combination too much.
- The mixture will be soft and sticky--that's okay.
- Form into patties, (not balls) 1 inch thick by 3 inches long.
- Drop into sauce in crockpot.
- If needed, put more sauce in to cover the meatballs.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until meat is done (my crockpot's low setting will cook the meat in 4 hours, so check on them after 4).
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place 3-4 rolls, split, onto a cookie sheet.
- Spray the split rolls with cooking spray (this will keep the rolls from getting soggy later).
- Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake until crusty--about 3-5 minutes--keep an eye on them.
- Remove from oven.
- Switch oven to Broil.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 meatballs on each roll, then top liberally with sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella, covering the sauce.
- Broil for 2 minutes, or until cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Serve immediately.
My gf and I made these subs and we used hamburger in place of the turkey. We also used regular spaghetti sauce instead of marinara sauce as we prefer it. These came out tender and we really enjoyed them! We used provolone cheese in place of the Mozzarella, and it worked fine. We will be having these often. A real treat! Thanks BFM. Mike