Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
A light, fluffy, whole-wheat pumpkin muffin with no refined sugar. Hearty, homey taste, and the kitchen smells like heaven when they're cooking. Sucanat can be found at whole foods stores or at Wegmans in bulk.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sucanat or 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter until soft.
- Add sucanat and molasses, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and pumpkin, stir until well blended.
- Sift flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg into the butter mixture, and fold in, being careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in raisins.
- Spoon equal amounts into muffin tin.
- Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 3 minutes before moving to cooling rack.
I have made these twice and my whole family loved them. I used cooked, mashed squash instead of pumpkin and 2 1/4 cups light spelt flour instead of whole wheat and I left out the raisins. We will definitely make these again.