this came from an amish cookbook... these are the best ever! my grandma, who has tasted MANY sugar cookies says that these are the best shes ever had, my family absolutely loves them! i dont eat much stuff like this but i tried it and i have to agree these are awesome!!! PLEASE TRY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a measuring cup, mix the buttermilk and baking soda; set aside.
- 2In a large mixer bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and eggs; mix well.
- 3Add the buttermilk-soda mixture and blend.
- 4Then add the salt, nutmeg, vanilla, and baking powder and mix again.
- 5Blend in the flour[the batter will be very runny].
- 6Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 7The next day, preheat oven to 400°F For the very best redults, use ungreased nonstick baking sheets.
- 8Dark or shiny sheets conduct the heat differenty, and the cookie will have crisp brown edges, which are just what you don't want.
- 9Use 1 heaping tablespoon of batter per cookie, and place on the sheets.
- 10Liberally sprinkle more sugar on top of each cookie.
- 11Keep batter refrigerated between bakings.
- 12Bake for just 5 minutes.
- 13The cookies should be just barely done, still almost white.
- 14If they are golden, you have left them in too long.
- 15Remove from the oven, and allow the cookies to remain on the cooking sheet for 3 more minutes to continue baking.
- 16Carefully remove cookies with a metal spatula to a wax paper covered rack to cool.
- 17The cookies keep well in tightly covered containers or can be frozen.
- 18In either case, each cookie should be wrapped individually or between layers of wax paper.
- 19They are so tender, so moist, so cakelike that they cling together if this is not done.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big White Soft Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.6
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.0 mg
- Sodium 173.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 1.6 g