1/4 Photos of Big Sur Carrot Tangerine Bread
1 hr 20 mins
Adapted from Tom Reilly, a staff baker in Esalen Institute’s famous kitchen while he was a Work Scholar and student there for a year and a half. When he introduced this sweet bread recipe from "The Bread Bible" he was besieged with requests to make it often – 30 loaves at a time! I lived off and on at Esalen Institute for several years during the early 70's. oh, the stories I could tell! A little history: Founded in 1962 as an alternative educational center devoted to the exploration of what "Brave New World" author Aldous Huxley called the "human potential," Esalen has attracted free-thinking philosophers, creative artists, top-notch body workers and nervous wrecks in need of Gestalt therapy for the past 40 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons tangerine juice
- 1 tangerine, zest of
- 2 cups finely grated raw carrots
May add in one or all
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricot (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350º.
- 2Grease and flour 2 bread pans.
- 3In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- 4Beat eggs and sugar until thick and light colored.
- 5Add oil and beat hard until volume is doubled.
- 6Add vanilla, tangerine juice and zest;
- 7fold in grated carrots.
- 8Stir dry ingredients into wet and continue stirring until smooth and well combined.
- 9You may enhance the flavor by adding ½ cup: shredded coconut, diced dry apricots, raisins or nuts (finely chopped).
- 10Fill pans no more than 2/3 full and bake 50–60 minutes.
- 11Let stand in pans for 10 minutes – cool on sides completely.
- 12Wrap tightly in plastic or place in air-tight plastic bag and let stand at room temperature overnight before slicing – this will retain moistness and extend life. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Sur Carrot Tangerine Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2633.2
- Calories from Fat 1090
- Total Fat 121.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 423.0 mg
- Sodium 1739.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 358.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 207.2 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tangerines, zest of