Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great cookies for a cold winter night. I only make these on special occasions. I got this out of an old Working Mother's magazine.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease large cookie sheets.
- In medium bowl, mix first 4 ingredients until well combined; set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and 1 cup of the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in half the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in remaining flour mixture with a spoon (dough will be very soft). Spoon dough by heaping tablespoons on prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart, making about 24 cookies.
- Butter the base of a flat bottomed glass that about 3 inches wide. Dip bottom of glass into the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Use sugared glass to flatten cookies into 3 inch rounds, coating bottom of glass with sugar each time.
- Sprinkle cookies with some coarse sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed. (Cookies will be very light in color).
- Immediately remove to racks to cool.
Have made this recipe for years substituting vanilla yogurt for the sour cream. Very good!
These cookies are great! I had a great time making these as I had help from a 2 year old. I had a family gathering the other day and everyone enjoyed these. Thanks for the great recipe.
This is a very nice cookie. Not overely sweet. Easy to put together although, as has happened in the past, the class coated in sugar stuck to the cookie surface at times. Not the recipe fault, but mine. They baked up very light and a little on the cakey side. I'm very glad you mentioned the color of the cookie when cooked, or I probably would have over cooked them. Thanks for sharing.