Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These cookies have gotten rave reviews at our family get-togethers. They are posted on the All Recipes website and are 5 star cookies! Here is what the chef has to say: "These are just what they say: big, soft, gingerbread cookies. They stay soft, too. My oldest son's favorite." Thank you for making this available to us all!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.