Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I Love these cookies! This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe. They are big, and soft with perfect flavor and texture. I have always made them without the lemon zest. They also look wonderful, oh gosh, love them! Best cookie i have ever had anywhere.Makes about 20 (3 1/2-inch) cookies, I hope many others have just as many good experiences with them as much as I have.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 large eggs
- sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds. Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and then the lemon juice. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Scoop dough using a 2-inch ice cream scoop; space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar, then lightly brush with a wet pastry brush; sprinkle with more sanding sugar.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.