Recipe by clw721
I was in Kennet Square Pa for their mushroom festival and had this soup. It was delicious.
Top Review by Z-chef
I had a can of lump crabmeat in the frig and was going to make the usual delicious crab cakes but then decided I wanted to try something different. I hit the jackpot with this crab soup. My hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I followed the recipe exactly, except to save some calories, didn't serve it in a breadbowl. The flavor was wonerful. I served it with a spinach salad and crusty bread for a really enjoyable cold January night supper. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes, divided
- 1 quart water
- 1 (8 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 -6 large crusty bread rolls (for soup bowls)
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce sweet sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart stockpot, over medium-high heat, melt butter; add onion and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, Old Bay, 1 tablespoon parsley flakes, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add water and milk; simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut tops off rolls and hollow them out to make soup bowls, reserving some of the bread. Break reserved bread into small pieces and stir into soup, 1 cup at a time, until soup is suffiently thick.
- Add crab meat, red bell pepper, and sherry. Adjust seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into bread bowls and top with remaining parsley flakes.