Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious Strawberry swirl cake. Decorate the top with strawberries for a more elegant presentation.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 can big red soda pop (or any strawberry flavored soda)
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (9 ounce) container whipped topping
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry gelatin
- fresh strawberries (optional)
- Dump first 9 ingredients into large mixing bowl.
- Beat on low speed of mixer, scraping sides of bowl constantly, till well combined.
- Beat on high speed, for approximately 3 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for 40 to 45 minutes, in a greased and floured 9"X13" cake pan.
- Remove cake from oven and poke holes throughout cake with handle end of wooden spoon.
- Mix package of gelatin with Big Red and pour over hot cake.
- Prepare vanilla pudding, using ONLY 1 cup of milk.
- Mix with whipped topping; spoon over cooled cake.
- Decorate the top with strawberries if desired for a more elegant presentation.
- Keep refrigerated and covered.
the soda/jello mix didn't cover my cake completely and made it look marbled. next time i'll double the mixture.
Made this cake for Valentine's day. We used Black Cherry soda and jello instead of Strawberry. It came out pretty good. The only thing I would change is to flatten the soda before I added the jello. When we did it, it bubbled all over the place. I will make definately try this again.