Recipe by chiclet
I found this recipe jotted on a piece of scrap paper while I was cleaning off my desk. I don't know where it's from and I haven't made it. I hope to try them soon. If you make them please let me know about prep time, etc.
Top Review by Chef 'Diva Divine
These were good, and just so happens that I found this recipe when I did. I was preping to make my infamouse White Chocolate chip cookies, and much to my surprise I did not have any Macadamian nuts so......I was going to use what I had on hand (almond slivers)........well, I didn't have enough brown sugar, so then I was going to concoct a cookie with my oatmeal recipe.....lolol didn't have enough quick oats. I hae going to the grocery store for 1 thing....it isn't worth the gas and besides I ALWAYS come out with more than I went in there for. I came to Zaar as I often do in times like that, and here I find his recipe. So I said all that to say that I used melted (cooled) margarin rather than shortening as remember I was originally going to make chocolate chip cookies. I used white chocolate chips, and rum flavoring rater than coconut...lololol didn't have that either. And as suggested I threw in almond slivers as I was going to use in a previous email. They turned t good, but next time will follow the recipe as posted but will use milk chocolate, just to come back and rate and to compare. Thanks for the saving starter recipe .
- 1 cup coconut
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toast coconut in a skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl mix shortening, sugars, vanilla and coconut extracts, and egg on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, combing oats, flour, salt, baking soda, and coconut.
- Add oat mixture to wet mixture and mix on low speed until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Drop level 1/4 cupfuls of dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Press dough into rounds using bottom of measuring cup.
- Bake 15-20 min., until golden.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.