Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Sunset's Cookies, cookbook. My DH thinks these are the greatest! I admit that they do make great gifts. From the intro: "Oversized cookies, often best-sellers at fund-raising events, are easy to make at home. [These...] reach a diameter of about 7 inches -- enough cookie to last all day! For variety, you can use butterscotch-flavored chips instead of chocolate."
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine, softened
- 354.88 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 551.25 ml rolled oats
- 340.19 g package semisweet chocolate or 340.19 g package butterscotch chips
- 354.88 ml nuts, chopped
- granulated sugar
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl of an electric mixer, until creamy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly.
- Add oats, chocolate chips, and nuts; mix well.
- Shape each cookie by spooning dough into a 1/2-cup measure, level off, and turn out onto a greased baking sheet. Space cookies a minimum of 6 inches apart and 2 1/2 from edge of baking sheet.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a pie pan, dip in granulated sugar, and use to flatten each cookie into a 5 1/2-inch circle. To even each cookie's thickness, press it lightly with your finger, if necessary.
- Bake in a 350 degree farenheit oven for about 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Place on baking sheets and allow to cool for 5 minutes; transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container.
Fantastic cookies!!! I didn't make the big cookies, as it was just for us at home. I made 9 cookies without the pecans (for DS) and then about 2 dozen with the works. Loved all the different textures and flavors from the oats, nuts and different flavored chips. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.
I did, in fact, use this recipe for a fundraiser. The cookies were big and beautiful as well as tasty! It also helped that they didn't take a terribly long time to make.
Yum, Yum! These cookies are great, and huge! I made these with my DD's today. We made two huge ones (for a Christmas treat) and then many small ones to share with friends. Thanks!