Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
"Big John's Steak and Onion" is a favorite local fast food franchise here in Flint, Michigan. They have been in business for as long as I can remember, and they are always very busy. The food is made-to-order on big grills right in front of you, so it wasn't hard to figure out how to duplicate this at home. I just wanted to share this recipe with those who may not otherwise get a chance to enjoy this incredible sandwich.
- 1 good quality seeded sub buns or 1 hoagie bun
- 1⁄3 lb shaved rib eye steak
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup canned mushroom, heated
- 2 slices deli provolone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pickled banana pepper rings
- Slice bun 2/3 through lengthwise and spread open.
- Place cheese slices on bun.
- Heat skillet or grill to medium to high heat.
- Stir fry steak and onions until cooked through.
- Salt and pepper to taste while cooking.
- Place cooked steak and onions immediately onto bun.
- Top with the mushrooms and peppers to taste.
Now if we could only duplicate the Big John's special red sauce!!! Mmm :D
This is my favorite sandwich of all time! When I broke my wrist the second week of college, freshman year, my mother overnighted me 2 16" super steak and cheeses to cheer me up. Good recipe, Bethany!
This was excellent I made it with a couple of substitutions I used left over round steak that I sauted with garlic and onions and a little beef base mixed with water. Then I butter the rolls a bit and browned the hoagie rolls under the broiler. Then I put the steak on with two slice of provolone cheese stuck in back under the broiler until the cheese melted. It tasted just like a sub from a sub shop. Thanks for the great, easy and tasty recipe.