Big John's Note:
I'm told Chicken Fried Steak is the Official State Dish of Texas. I hope I don't offend any Texans with this version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 round steaks, tenderized
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 tablespoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground habanero chile pepper
- 1Beat together the egg and milk then set aside.
- 2Combine the flour and spices, mix well, and spread onto a flat tray or plate.
- 3Dip each steak into the milk/egg mixture and dredge each in the flour mixture, then dip back into the milk/egg mixture.
- 4Heat 1/2 inch deep cooking oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- 5Check the temperature with a drop of the egg/milk mixture; if it pops and sizzles, it's ready.
- 6Carefully place each steak into the hot oil, allowing to fry for 3 to 5 minutes, then turn over and cook another 3 to 5 minutes, depending upon the size of the cutlets.
- 7Remove steaks from oil and allow to drain on paper towel.
- 8Leave about 3-4 tablespoons of the oil from frying the steak in the skillet and reduce heat to medium.
- 9Combine all ingredients for gravy on a bowl and mix until flour is desolved.
- 10Pour into skillet and cook until desired thickness is reached.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big John's Spicy Chicken Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.7
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 63.8 mg
- Sodium 2154.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground habanero chile pepper