Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
And they said not to use ground beef in Southern dishes. Yeah Whatever.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (Fine)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Combine the beef, milk, bread crumbs, onion, 1 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper.
- Mix thoroughly then shape into 16 balls.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet then brown the meat balls well on all sides.
- Remove the meat balls from the pan and add the remaining butter.
- Blend in the flour, sugar, and the other 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Add the buttermilk and mustard and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce the heat and return the meat balls to the sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Woo-whee! These were good. I would suggest using a non-stick skillet since my meatballs stuck to the pan during the browning process. I served this with Bev's buttermilk onion rings dipped in Dancer's buttermilk garlic dressing. Thanks for posting this, Big John!
Loved it! I didn't use a nonstick pan because I like to use a wire whisk for the sauce. I shaped the meatballs and then got the pan and butter to a medium high heat; quickly placed the meatballs and didn't turn them until they released easily. I used Dijon mustard. I served this with Gay's Spinach Gratin (#14415) and bread. I made this gluten-free using gluten-free ingredients, including the bread I served with it. We really enjoyed this recipe. : )
Meatballs have a very nice texture. DH really loved the sauce. I did not have any buttermilk so I mixed 1 cup yogurt 1 cup milk as a substitute. Will be making again.