Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've used this recipe for years and added the pesto at the request of a chef friend. He is right at times.
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup gouda cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- SAUCE: Add first 6 items to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thick and remove from heat.
- Stir in Gouda.
- PESTO: Add all ingredients except oil, salt& pepper to a food processor and blend until coarsely chopped.
- Add oil, salt and pepper and blend again just until mixed.
- Grill chicken until cooked through.
- Pour sauce over chicken and spoon pesto on top.
I needed a good sauce to go with my sous vide chicken experiment, and this looked like a good one. I have to admit I didn't do the cilantro pesto (didn't have any fresh cilantro), but the gouda sauce was pretty darn rich and tasty! I made a double recipe so we could pour it over our side dish (roasted broccoli - and it was GOOD!) and it really brought the plain, unadorned chicken breast to a higher level! I cut down a tiny bit on the cayenne and cut WAY down on the salt (I probably used 3/4 tsp. total for a double recipe) and that was plenty for us. Next time I have to try it with the pesto - it sounds like a winner!