Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
"Big John's Steak and Onion" is a local favorite fast food franchise here in Flint, Michigan. The food is made to order on big grills right in front of you, so there was no real mystery for me to figure out how to duplicate this at home. I just wanted to share this wonderful sandwich with all of those outside of Flint who may never get a chance to enjoy these tasty, addictive sandwiches.
- 1 good quality seeded sub buns or 1 hoagie bun
- 4 slices deli ham
- 2 slices of deli provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded lettuce
- 3 slices tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped vidalia onions (small chop, not fine)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons zesty fat-free Italian salad dressing
- Slice sub bun 2/3 way through lengthwise and spread open.
- Spread bun with mayo.
- Heat un-oiled skillet or grill to medium heat.
- Arrange two ham slices on grill overlapping slightly to match the length of bun. Layer The remaining 2 slices on top of the first 2. If ham starts to stick to pan, squirt on a little water around the edges. When lightly browned on bottom, turn over and top with cheese. When second side is light brown, and cheese is melted, place ham onto bun cheese side up. Top with lettuce, tomato slices, onion, and Italian dressing. Enjoy!
awesome sandwich, but then again i'm from flint town too!! ;) go Red Wings! I made these with the hawaiin sandwich rolls, that I grilled with butter first, then followed all your directions..I did do one slice of provolone and 1 slice mozarella and husband RAVED!! Thanks for sharing Bethany.
Awesome....is what DD#3 said about these sandwiches after she had devoured 2 after swim practice! So easy that I made up a couple of extras for the kids to grab and go! Great flavor combo! Thanx Bethany!