Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bread pudding is the most popular classic New Orleans dessert. Every cook has their own recipe, this is mine.
- 3 loaves French bread, cubed
- 4 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned pineapple, drained & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, shredded
- 2 egg yolks, beaten (save whites)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup Canadian rye whisky
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add sugar, vanilla and spices to eggs (mixed with egg whites from sauce) and beat.
- Add milk and butter, beat again.
- Stir in pineapple, coconut and pecans.
- Place bread in a large buttered baking pan and pour beaten mixture over top.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake until the center becomes firm.
- SAUCE: Cream butter and sugar over medium heat until all butter is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and blend in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Pour in Whiskey while stirring constantly.
- Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve over warm bread pudding.
Oh, yum!!! This was a great pudding! Looking forward to other Big John recipes. :)