Big John's Note:
While not everyone enjoys escargots, I've converted a large number with this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (7 ounce) can escargot, drained (30-40 count)
- 36 whole mushrooms, medium sized
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 loaf French bread, thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Rinse escargot in a colander in order to remove any sand and set aside.
- 2Grind spices together in a mortar until fine.
- 3Clean mushrooms and completely remove stems, making sure to create a place for escargot.
- 4Place in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of the butter and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Remove from heat and place mushroom caps on escargot dishes stem side up.
- 6Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7Chop half of the mushroom stems up and place in small sauce pan with remaining butter, garlic and spices, discard the rest.
- 8Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- 9Place one escargot on each mushroom cap.
- 10Spoon butter mixture over escargots and sprinkle with parmesan.
- 11Place escargot dishes onto a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is browned and sauce is bubbling.
- 12Use bread for cleaning up the sauce.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big John's Baked Escargot
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.0
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 66.9 mg
- Sodium 865.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 19.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence