Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rhubarb/custard pie...tart/sweet...what more signifies summer and the simplicity of mother nature's bounty??? This is really a great pie!!
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 2 cups finely diced fresh rhubarb
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the eggs and cream.
- Add sugar, salt and flour.
- Add diced rhubarb in unbaked pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over rhubarb.
- Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking additional 45 minutes.
- Whip egg whites until peaks form.
- Add sugar.
- Add meringue mixture sealing pie and bake additional 5-10 minutes- until lightly browned.
- Cool and enjoy.
This is one of the best rhubarb pies I have made. I did not make the meringue, not a fan. I just added the whole eggs to the recipe, and a little less cream, but I used heavy cream. Believe it or not, it was hard finding a rhubarb custard pie recipe that actually had cream and eggs, go figure. Not sure what the diff is between cream and custard when it comes to pie, but in my humble opinion, this is one of the best I have tried. Thanks for sharing.
I was looking for a rhubarb pie recipe like my grandmother used to make. I came across this one and it was exactly what I was looking for. If you are on the fence about rhubarb this will win you over!
Delicious creamy pie.