Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This calls for elk, but it will work with deer or moose as well. Adapted from "Dressing & Cooking Wild Game."
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 elk shoulder roast, about 3 pounds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine flour, thyme, salt and pepper in a large plastic food bag.
- Shake to mix.
- Add roast and shake to coat.
- Brown meat in oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove and set aside.
- Add salt pork.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring, until onions are brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add beer and brown sugar.
- Stir, scraping up browned bits.
- Return meat and salt pork to pot.
- Cover and bake until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve with pan juices, if desired.