Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cake is unbelievable! it takes a little time, but the result is amazing. great for when you want to spoil yourself and your family. chocolate decadence at its finest!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Cake mix.
- in a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar, adding eggs one at a time and mixing well after each addition.
- beat in vanilla extract.
- whisk cocoa and boiling water until smooth.
- in seperate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- add dry ingredients and cocoa mixture alternately and beat until smooth.
- pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. bake at 350 for 25-30 minute until a toothpick comes out clean. cool for 10 minute remove from pans to wire racks.
- in a mixing bowl, beat cream powderd sugar and vanilla on high speed until soft peaks form.
- chill until firm.
- in a sauce pan, melt chips and butter over medium heat; stir in cream.
- remove from heat; stir in powderd sugar.
- chill for at least 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- beat on high to achieve fluffy, spreadable consistancy.
- to put it all together, spread half the filling over one cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling.
- top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake.
- chill for 2 hours before cutting.