1/2 Photos of Big Family Meatloaf
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is the result of changes I had to make to a recipe I got from the Zaar. It was very good and I would like to be able to duplicate it again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups crushed saltines (1 row plus 8 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence, original
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce (or use tomato paste cut in half with water)
- 1 large sweet onion (vidalia, Walla Walla, or Texas sweet)
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon canned garlic (from jar)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 1/3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 325.
- 2In a very large bowl put hamburger, crackers crumbled,salt, essence, boullion powder, and black pepper - set aside.
- 3Cut onion into larger pieces and put it in the food processor with the garlic -- pulse until pieces are small. Dump onion mixture into the bowl with the meat.
- 4Beat the three eggs (in the food processor if you don't want to dirty a bowl) and add them to the meat bowl.
- 5Add the tomato sauce to the meat bowl and use your hands to mix all very well (I like to wear rubber gloves to save on clean-up time).
- 6Divide meat mixture in half. Form into two loaves on the botton of your broiler pan or a roasting pan. Leave room between loaves for even baking.
- 7In smaller bowl mix together with a fork; ketchup, brown sugar, water, mustard and cider vinegar. This is your topping -- Brush tops and sides of loaves with this before baking and again while baking.
- 8Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- 9When I remove the pan from the oven I like to pour off the excess oil in the bottom of the pan. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Slice thick and pieces should hold together well.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Family Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.1
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 792.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Emeril's Original Essence