Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Doing a search for some exciting Cajun soups, I came up with this wonderful recipe on Allrecipes.com. I hope you will enjoy it!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups tomato cocktail juice
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3⁄4 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- hot pepper sauce
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute green bell pepper, onions, and garlic until tender.
- Stir in vegetable juice, clam juice, and water.
- Season with thyme, basil, red pepper, bay leaf, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, and stir in rice. Reduce heat, and cover.
- Simmer 15 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Stir in shrimp, and cook 5 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque.
- Remove the bay leaf, and season with hot sauce.
- Serves 6.
I liked this soup but my husband really didn't like it. I used Clamato and as a result the soup had a bit of a vinegary taste. I might play around with this recipe since I really like the idea of it.
Bev this soup is absolutely wonderful! I increased the shrimp and the fresh garlic, and increased the red pepper flakes to about 1 tablespoon, we like it super spicy lol! also I uses Mott's spicy clamato juice, and added in some Cajun seasoning, this is my DH's new favorite soup, I have to say it is just as good cold as a summer soup!...great recipe hon! thanks for sharing, Kitten:)