Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A quick shrimp creole dish from South Beach diet. Phase 1. Add cooked brown rice for phase 2.
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 slices turkey bacon or 2 slices Canadian bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Place on paper towel to drain.
- Over medium heat, in hot drippings, cook onion, bell pepper, and celery for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice, bay leaf, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot-pepper sauce.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and crumble in the bacon.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
This recipe is awesome! I have used this recipe numerous of times when I was a nanny.... Over the yrs I could not find this recipe again to make for my hubby. Finally I found it thank you...
This recipe is really wonderful! Recently, I started cleaning up my diet trying to cook & eat healthier. This is low in calories and fat, is super tasty and really fills you up. It's great with brown minute rice on the side. I also added more hot sauce for more kick.
My husband makes this dish for me whenever we have shrimp in the house. The first time he made it was when we had a picnic planned before seeing a play when we were dating. Unfortunately, we got stuck in traffic and didn't have enough time for our picnic and we ate it while sitting in traffic. It was still scrumptious! The flavors work so well together, and I love the spice, we kick it up a few notches and it is the best!