Recipe by Kana K.
A solid basic recipe for a "leaner" red beans and rice than the traditional method.
Top Review by gailanng
"This is true Louisiana food and I surely can navigate my way easily around a New Orleans table...and thankfully all By The Grace of God", said as I practically choke on my snorts and giggles.
- 1 lb red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 lb ham steak, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 8 -10 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, render the ham chunks by cooking until the fat becomes liquid, remove ham and place to the side.
- In the fat that remains sauté the onion, garlic, celery and parsley.In a large pot, combine the beans, water, meat, bay leaf, salt & pepper.
- Bring to slow boil, lower heat to simmer and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve over rice.